In April we announced the upcoming release of ON1 Photo RAW 2019.5 and today we are excited to say it’s officially available for the ON1 community. Since the first release of ON1 Photo RAW, we’ve given our community a say in the features and technologies they want in their photo editor of choice. Every feature and improvement we’ve made in the latest release is a result of community input through the ON1 Photo RAW Project. We want to take this chance to say, thank you. We’ve come a long way and are excited for what the future holds here at ON1.
One of the most significant improvements in the latest release is performance and speed in several areas. Some of these optimizations give customers up to a 50x improvement compared to the previous version. Here are a few of the areas where customers will notice a significant increase in speed.
- Preset Previews — Up to 3x faster — When navigating through presets and previewing each effect on the photo
- JPG to JPG Export — Up to 2.5x faster — This is an example of creating “proof” sized JPGs for a client and takes advantage of a new resizing algorithm
- RAW to JPG Export — Up to 2.5x faster — This is an example of creating JPGs for social media with your watermark
- Export in Edit — Up to 5x faster — This is an example of saving a full-sized file for sharing or editing in another app
- Export Edited Photo — Up to 50x faster — This is an example of exporting a large JPG from a previously edited 45MP RAW photo
New Features in Version 2019.5
- Dual Mode — Easily undock the Browse Module from the Edit Module, use a second display, or make sales or client presentations on a projector or TV. The dual mode allows photographers to customize how they want to work when browsing and editing photos.
- Edit History — A full edit history is added when working on photos. Each editing step is viewable, along with the ability to roll-back and compare adjustments. Photographers can also revert to the beginning of the editing session.
- Settings Applied Info — Photographers can now quickly view which modules, tools, and filters are applied to a photo. This non-linear approach also allows photographers to double-click on a setting and jump straight to it for further adjustments.
- Selective Sync — Enhanced granularity in which settings to apply when syncing your settings (or pasting and saving a preset) has been added. For example, photographers can drill down and only apply a white balance adjustment. The ability to sync cropping, retouching and brush strokes between photos is also be included.
- Hierarchical Keywords — The master keyword list now supports nesting keywords inside of other keywords. Nested keywords allow photographers to organize keywords as they see fit. Importing a list of nested keywords from other apps like Adobe Lightroom® is also supported.
- Apple® Photos® Extension Enhancements — Integration with Apple Photos now supports the full raw data, improving adjustments to tone and color. It also supports re-editable non-destructive editing and more native ON1 Photo RAW features like layers, crop, and text.
- First Launch Experience — If it is your first time using ON1 Photo RAW, there are new walkthroughs to help you learn the basics. This gives photographers a running start and directs them where to learn more.
- Tool Tips — Tool tip animations are added to improve the usability and shorten the learning curve for each tool.
Additional Enhancements in Version 2019.5
- Layers Enhancements — Create a new canvas of any size or change the size of the existing canvas.
- Text Tool Enhancements — Add a background color to a text box and control its opacity. Easily control the character and line spacing. New options also allow photographers to duplicate and change the order of text boxes and automatically insert text from a photo’s metadata.
- Performance Improvements — Zooming, panning, and brushing are now much faster. A new preview quality option can help increase performance on lower-end and integrated video cards as well. Export is now up to 10x faster when resizing or exporting a photo or photos already edited.
- Local Adjustments — The Local Adjustments tools are faster to brush and adjust.
- Windows High-DPI — Support for high-dpi displays on Windows is dramatically improved. The scaling of the fonts and controls work much better, especially on 4k displays and laptops.
- Keywording — Keywords are now easier to search, add, delete, and modify. Also, keywords are now case sensitive.
- Soft Proofing in Resize — The soft-proofing feature is also be available in ON1 Resize (Genuine Fractals®).
- Drag and Drop from Film Strip — Drag and drop photos from the film strip to add them as new layers.
- Increased Thumbnail Size Range — The range of thumbnail size is increased, so photographers can go all the way up to two giant thumbnails or down to tiny thumbnails to survey an entire folder.
- Default Photo Location — Now control the default photo location in Browse. This is where ON1 Photo RAW looks to find photos instead of the Pictures folder.
- Preview the Resize Algorithm — When using the Genuine Fractals algorithm, photographers can preview the resulting quality at 100% zoom to more accurately adjust the options and sharpening.
- Persistent Crop Preset State — The crop tool settings are persistent and remembered across photos.
- Search by Adjustments Added — Search for photos based on specific adjustments applied such as cropped, retouched, etc.
- Update to Lightroom Migration — The Lightroom Migration tool now migrates the pick and reject flags.
- Added support for these cameras — Sony SLT-A55V, A33, A6400, RX100VA, Olympus OM-D E-M1X, Panasonic FZ1000 M2, TZ95 (ZS80, TZ96, TZ97), S1, S1R, Ricoh GR III. Note: we are still working on Canon CR3 support and it is a high priority to come in the next free update to ON1 Photo RAW
- Added lens profiles for the following lenses or non-interchangeable lens cameras — Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM, Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, Canon FD 200mm f/2.8 SSC, Canon PowerShot A1200 & compatibles, Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III & compatibles, Canon PowerShot G3 X & compatibles, DJI FC2103 & compatibles, Hasselblad L1D-20c & compatibles, Huawei Huawei P10 Lite & compatibles, Huawei Huawei P20 Pro & compatibles, Leica DMC-LX10 & compatibles, Leica X Vario 18.0-46.0 mm f/3.5-6.4, Leica Camera AG Summicron TL 1:2 23 ASPH, Minolta Minolta AF 85mm f/1.4G (D), Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR, Nikon Nikkor AI-S 85mm f/2.0, Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S, Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D 54, Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, Nikon AI 80-200mm f/4.5 Zoom, OLYMPUS M.12-200mm F3.5-6.3, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 II, Opteka 15mm f/4 Wide Macro 1:1, Panasonic DC-ZS200 & compatibles, Pentax smc Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax smc Pentax-F 28mm f/2.8, Samyang 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS, Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8, Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM | A, Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM, Sony DSC-RX100 VI & compatibles, Sony E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA, Sony 35mm F1.4 G (SAL35F14G), Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM (SALF0F14Z), Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD, Venus Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro, Venus Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D, Voigtländer Super Wide-Heliar 15mm f/4.5 III, Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50.