Conclusion to the ON1 Photo RAW and Photoshop Workflow Series

Posted in ,

Tagged with

This is the sixth installment in the Photo RAW Workflow Video Series.  In case you missed the first five lessons here they are:

  1. Introduction to the Workflow Series
  2. HDR Workflow with Adobe Camera Raw and Photo Raw
  3. Pano Workflow with Photoshop and Photo RAW
  4. Advanced Selections with Photoshop and Photo RAW
  5. Under the Hood of Photo RAW

In this final lesson of the Photo RAW and Photoshop workflow, we are going to do a nice healthy review of all the information that was covered.  Can you believe that was nearly 2 hours of information, the month seemed to go by so quickly!

Anytime I conduct a course, I like to do a brief conclusion to solidify the most important elements of all that was covered.  I also like to point out what’s next and where you should go from here.

If you are not the type to favor conclusions, then, by all means, skip to the end but do not skip the video entirely!

While the whole review is important to ensure the information stuck with you, the best nuggets of information occur on the last slide.

I have enjoyed sharing my knowledge of Workflow with you.  This is me signing off from the course, but I will be back next week with a goodbye blog post, so don’t think I am gone just yet.  Keep firing questions at me.

 

53 comments on “Conclusion to the ON1 Photo RAW and Photoshop Workflow Series”

  1. On January 26, 2017 at 3:25 am Chris Mullett wrote:

    Hey Blake
    Great set of tutorials. I’ve found it really useful to see all of this in a fairly compact format.
    Thanks
    Regards
    Chris

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 6:14 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Thanks, Chris. I am glad they were helpful! A lot was covered in a short amount of time.

  2. On January 26, 2017 at 4:14 am David Price wrote:

    Hi Blake

    An inspirational series, and your parachute packing analogy is spot on. I simply can not believe how quickly my knowledge has advanced, purely in the time that I have been a Member of Plus. There are just so many good ideas.

    Well done on packaging up some really complex ideas, into simple bite sized explanations.

    Best wishes, David Price.

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 6:16 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Hi David!

      Thanks, glad you liked the series. I miss packing chutes, I was damn good **turning head slightly and reminiscing** :)

      I am glad you got a lot out of the series. It was a lot of information in a short amount of time.

  3. On January 26, 2017 at 5:03 am David wrote:

    Blake,
    Thank you for the informative workflow series. Out of curiosity, how would you handle an HDR panorama? Do you stitch the pano first and then do HDR, or do you do HDR first and then stitch it together?

    Cheers!
    David Whittaker

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 6:17 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Of course, David, gotta be difficult… Just kidding, great question.

      I would HDR first, then Pano. It will make you life so much easier.

  4. On January 26, 2017 at 6:12 am John Rayner wrote:

    Now that we’re all done, I think I missed the reason why you save as TIFFs and not PSDs. You seem to make a point of this, or is it just a preference.

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 6:19 am Blake Rudis replied:

      It is just a preference. I like the TIFF because there is a lot of information in it. However, if I leave layers in my files in PS, I save as a PSD.

      If I am going from PS to ON1, I will save as a TIFF because the layers may not transfer as a PSD over to ON1.

      1. On January 28, 2017 at 9:59 am Hans Habereder replied:

        I use Tiff as well because the PSD file size in ON1 is gigantic. Besides I have my workflow documented in a skeleton so its very easy for me to recreate the effect.

  5. On January 26, 2017 at 7:51 am Jean-Claude Guillen wrote:

    I have already adopted your very efficient workflow: less time spent and better results !
    Thank you Blake for this excellent set of videos !
    Regards
    Jean-Claude

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 8:13 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Woot! That makes me happy. I am very glad I could help you this month.

  6. On January 26, 2017 at 8:58 am Bill Scott wrote:

    Certainly glad I signed up for ON1 Plus. Otherwise I would have missed your valuable lessons.

  7. On January 26, 2017 at 9:23 am sallyedworthy@hotmail.com wrote:

    Many thanks – I have learnt a great deal in a very short time. These sessions have made the transition /combination between Photoshop and ON1 much easier to understand. I particularly like the ‘Under the hood’ lesson – a lot of very useful information.

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 9:42 am Blake Rudis replied:

      That is great to hear. Thanks for taking the time to watch them.

  8. On January 26, 2017 at 11:41 am David Schmidt wrote:

    Blake, great tutorials I’ve learned a lot. Sorry to see this is the last in the series, hoping you can do more in the future. Earlier this week I saw a notice that Plus members could purchase your Zone System SW at a special price. I had intended to do so, but kind of forgot about it over the last few days. I looked today and can’t find the link. Is it still available?
    Thanks,

      1. On January 26, 2017 at 12:50 pm David Schmidt replied:

        Thanks much.

  9. On January 26, 2017 at 11:51 am Louis Jordaan wrote:

    Hi Blake, once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I sincerely hope that these lessons will be available for us to download. I only have expensive LTE(4g) internet access at this stage so it would be appreciated if we can watch your lessons offline … I will need to watch them a few times as there is a lot to absorb.
    Best Regards
    Louis Jordaan

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 8:39 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      No problem! I am glad you enjoyed it. I think ON1 plans on doing some sort of download with it. I will discuss the details with the powers that be :)

  10. On January 26, 2017 at 1:39 pm Petr Krenzelok wrote:

    Hello Blake,

    I really enjoy your webinars! What I wonder is – how does Zone Systems panel stacks against e.g. TK Actions panel or Lumenzia?

    I am an SW collection freak and might invest after all :-) I just don’t use PS much myself (yet). But my girfriend does. Now the question is – is the licence for one PS, or two installations?

    Thanks a lot,
    Petr

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 8:41 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      Thanks! They are different. These are not typical Luminance Mask selections. They have built in protection measure to ensure the masks blend well during the manipulation process. Also, the ZSE is not just a set of tools it is a complete Workflow System and built specifically for that reason. It is not merely a toolbox full of clever tools, but a system designed with workflow in mind.

      You may use it on multiple computers that you own. I have it on my Laptop and my desktop :)

  11. On January 26, 2017 at 7:51 pm vartkes wrote:

    Hi Blake, Great set of tutorials. There is much learning even for long time Ps+Lr users – 15 years in my case. I think On1 RAW is a great tool to work into Ps and Lr based workflows. You are doing a good job of positioning these applications into a productive workflow.
    My hope is that one day On1 RAW will grow up to make Ps + Lr irrelevant for still photo development…. some day.
    Thank you for your generous sharing
    Vartkes

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 8:42 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      I know what you mean. They are beasts to take down. ON1 has created a brilliant piece of software, though. I am excited to have it in my arsenal and really look forward to what is in store for the future.

  12. On January 26, 2017 at 7:57 pm Stephen Director wrote:

    Blake – When moving from say Lightroom or Browse to say Aurora for HDR and then to ON1 – what would be the file format that you would use? I believe Aurora favors TIFF but I have generally stuck with PSD if available. Similarly – one the the advantages of On1 Photo RAW – if you stick with it for the entire workflow – is that it is non destructive. But once you jump from one of the programs to another that feature disappears. Do you save intermediate versions of the image so that you can go back to a previous step and make changes easily without starting from scratch? Hope this question makes sense!

    1. On January 26, 2017 at 8:45 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      I know what you mean, but Aurora is for Mac only, and they keep telling me PC is on the way, I’m not holding my breath!

      However, I prefer a single TIFF file. I don’t save the intermediary files. In the beginning, I did but now I am pretty confident with what I need to do that experimentation with intermediary files is not necessary. However, if I am experimenting I ALWAYS make a duplicate of the TIFF. But If I did that for every image, a 2TB hard drive would be full in less than a year :)

  13. On January 27, 2017 at 2:48 pm Douglas A Davidson wrote:

    I bought your zone express system and after the 1st lesson, I said, “This is too complicated for me”, end of sentence, carriage return, new paragraph. Then after a few minutes, I said, “Nope don’t you dare quit”. By the end of your course, I stated to understand your madness. I just watched your training video on ON1 and I said, “I get it”. Your explanation with the zone and color strips caused a light to go on Blake. Then your explanation of the blend if with the ON1 system I said, “I get it”. Great job of explaining a concept that I knew existed but never used or even understood. My mentors for post photography are Scott Kelby, Matt Kloskowski, and now you Blake Rudis. Great Job and Thanks

    1. On January 27, 2017 at 5:56 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      Awesome! Now reverse that order and we are talkin’ :) Just kidding. I look up to Matt very highly. He is the reason why I am educating today. He was the first swift kick in the butt to get my website going.

      As for the ZSE. It takes time! You have probably one of the most advanced methods of photo editing in your hands with it, so give it the time it needs and nurture it and in turn, it will take care of you!

  14. On January 27, 2017 at 3:14 pm Heike wrote:

    You must have at least as much fun in teaching as everyone here has in learning.
    Thanks for sharing all the information – it changes a world of post processing and gets the gears going :)

    1. On January 27, 2017 at 5:50 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      Oh I do! I love my job. I thank God everyday for making it happen. It is a blast!

  15. On January 27, 2017 at 10:30 pm Hans Habereder wrote:

    Blake
    Thanks, your videos are the absolute best because you understand what is under the hood as you say. You show proof of why things work rather than handwaving. I feel that is important and that is how i work as well

    1. On January 30, 2017 at 9:42 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Thanks, Hans. It is imperative to know how the programs work for those exact reasons. I am glad you liked the videos!

  16. On January 27, 2017 at 10:54 pm Carmen K wrote:

    Fantastic! Great job as always. I have enjoyed your presentations tremendously and have added new tools to my arsenal. Thanks Blake.

  17. On January 28, 2017 at 8:15 pm Barry Bloom wrote:

    Well done Blake – you’re an excellent instructor & have a real clear way to explain difficult concepts. I have watched all your Blend If tutorials in f.64 & You Tube and you really explained that well then combined it with the Blend If & Luminosity Mask tutorial which was excellent.
    Then when I did this series the “Under the Hood” protection measures in the Effects module became really easy to understand – feel like I can move right into it. By the way I have Autopano Giga (which is unfortunately a $200 program) but it allow you to import all your HDR brackets from an HDR panorama in one folder & it finds the brackets & finds the panorama & generates an HDR panorama which you can save as a TIFF in one easy step. Does a nice job but is pricey. Keep up the terrific work!

    1. On January 30, 2017 at 9:56 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Wow! That is awesome. $200 for that, that is nothing! Imagine having to pay someone to do those things for you, you’d spend a lot more than $200 on a day’s work, for sure! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

      I also appreciate the feedback on the videos. Thanks for following me around the web :)

  18. On January 28, 2017 at 11:31 pm James Whyte wrote:

    Absolutely ‘tickity boo’ series of tutorials. Thank you Blake for sharing, I, for one, has already adopted your very efficient workflow: less time spent and better results and happy with that.

    As I further develop upon the newly acquired learning, and brain into top gear, hopefully I will settle more confidently into my own style of post processing images.

    I trust you have had as much pleasure in teaching as the membership has had in learning.

    Thanks once again.

    1. On January 30, 2017 at 9:45 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Tickity boo, that is a new one for me. I will take it!

      You know what I love about my job? Is seeing that people are progressing with their passions with the information I provide. Even if it is the slightest most insignificant thing that I can help with, I get a load of satisfaction from it. You nailed it on the head, it is just as enjoyable for me as I would guess it is for the viewer.

      I appreciate your feedback and positive approach to learning.

  19. On January 29, 2017 at 5:20 am Peter Pfeiffer wrote:

    When I first watched your B&W tut and how you approached color adjustments I knew that I’d been missing something in post processing. Your enthusiasm and use of basic concepts to drive home important points is superb.

    I had been jumping around when editing images which frustrated me to no end. I actually quit using my camera very much because I dreaded how much time I’d spend fiddling around on the computer with my results. Your straight forward, simplistic explanation Tone, Color, Effects has made me a MUCH happier camper!

    I’ve been dabbling in photography since the 1960’s when I developed and printed B&W in a make shift dark room. I’m now taking a basic digital photography class so that I can fill in the holes in my knowledge and experience.

    Thank you Blake for this series which has solidified my decision to continue my Plus membership.

    1. On January 30, 2017 at 9:46 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Thanks, Peter! I really do appreciate it and to hear the workflow inspired you a bit just makes me grin ear to ear! So glad I could help in anyway.

      I am glad you are sticking around here. I will be doing some stuff with ON1 throughout the year and will be back in August with a new round of guest coaching :)

  20. On January 29, 2017 at 8:17 am Bohdan wrote:

    More, more, more…….Absolutely great stuff. Gota finish build my new PC so I can load all of this and things to come on it.

    1. On January 30, 2017 at 9:47 am Blake Rudis replied:

      :) YEsss! Another happy camper. I will be back in August, but I will be doing some things with ON1 throughout the year also. If you want more, be sure to follow me on www.f64academy.com :)

  21. On January 30, 2017 at 6:59 am Adam Rubinstein wrote:

    Hi Blake, again thank you for creating these inspirational and truly valuable tutorials. There is little question that your artistic background and expertise in color theory provide a unique and quantifiable approach to optimizing workflow. In one of your earlier lessons you mentioned that you use similar workflows (Tone, Color, Artistic Effects) when approaching images of varying content ( landscapes, portraits, etc.) Clearly, individual images require varying treatment depending on the effect one wants to achieve and I would appreciate some comments with respect to your approach to processing wildlife images.

    1. On January 30, 2017 at 9:52 am Blake Rudis replied:

      Hello Adam, thanks for the feedback. I do mix my formal artist training with my not so formal photo education. I am glad you see that :)

      As for the workflow. It really can be used anywhere, it just depends on what you are processing. For example, when I do landscapes I tend to focus my tone attention on the shadows and protect the highlights. However, with portraits, that is reversed, I cater to the highlights and protect the shadow areas. With wildlife images, I would assume it is pretty close to a portrait, but it depends on the animal, too.

      In Wildlife work, I would tend to go a little more on the artistic approach, especially on backgrounds because they can destroy a good wildlife image. Tree branches surrounding a bird can look like a massive cage of jagged and dangerous claws. I would probably treat those areas with some type of creative blur, but not allow it to distract the viewers attention.

      It really is a tricky thing to answer with definitive yes’ and no’s, however, I always use the approach of Tone, Color, Artistic Effects in everything I process.

  22. On January 30, 2017 at 10:58 pm Allan Spencer wrote:

    Great series Blake. I use LR for tone and colour and On1 for effects and found lots of takeaways from the series for that sequence. Interested on your views on sharpening – I usually use LR for sharpening as I dont use on1 on every image – have you a view please on whether sharpening should be used in LR pre on1 or only be used in On1 if doing effects in on1?
    Anyway thanks for under the hood abd love the reinforcement throughout in tone colours effect (got it!)

    1. On January 31, 2017 at 12:21 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      Thanks for the feedback!

      I think Sharpening is an interesting concept. For the most part, I don’t do a whole lot of it unless the image really needs it. In that case, I will only sharpen things if I have complete control over every aspect of the sharpen.

      For instance, I do not want the edges of my highlights sharpened because it can produce small halos. I also do not like my shadows being sharpened because that is where noise lives.

      In reality, I probably wouldn’t use Lr or ACR at all for Sharpening did Blake just say that? Yeah, I wouldn’t use them because you don’t have a whole lot of control over what is ACTUALLY being sharpened. In that case, I would prefer Photoshop with a High Pass, or a layer in Photo RAW with sharpening set as a High Pass and only apply it to the midtones.

      However, it is like tea and everyone likes a different cup :)

      1. On January 31, 2017 at 1:11 pm Allan Spencer replied:

        Really appreciate the reply Blake and I will give this a try!

  23. On January 31, 2017 at 11:12 am Jennifer Stepanski wrote:

    Blake, using the zone system to explain the effects of highlights, shadows, and color tone was brilliant! It was a great tutorial and great use of visual aids that will be immensely helpful in my future photo editing. I’ve been using Photoshop for years and am fairly new to On1. I can see great benefits from using this software, but am still trying to understand all of its functionality so I loved that you did a comparison between the highlight/shadow sliders in On1 and Photoshop’s blending options. It was a big “a-ha” moment for me! Thank you!

    1. On January 31, 2017 at 12:22 pm Blake Rudis replied:

      Awesome! Glad you liked that :) I love ah ha moments and they happen every day when photo editing it seems. I am glad I could pass one onto you.

Leave a Comment

Save up to $30 Instantly!

Get an Instant Discount on ON1 Photo RAW 2019.6 delivered to you right now!


Have you ever purchased an ON1 product?

Yes No

Your info is never shared, and you may opt out at any time. View our privacy policy for GDPR compliance.